8th Grade Teachers:
1. Ms. ToniRae Andres - Social Studiestonirae.firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Ms. Heidi Johnson - Language Arts and Social Studies email@example.com
3. Ms. Laura Johnston - Language Arts and Advanced Language Artslaura.firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Mr. Charles Luce - Language Arts and Advanced Language Arts email@example.com
5. Ms. Pam Pickle - Science and Language Artspamela.firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Mr. Jason Schnoll - Math, Science, Social Studies, Geometryjason.email@example.com
7. Ms. Monty Metz - Math firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent-Student-Teacher Conferences: (sign up link)
We will be holding Semester 2 Conferences on Tuesday, February 14, and Wednesday, February 15 from 3:30 - 7:30 with a break for supper from 5:00-5:30.
To help make conferences run smoothly and avoid long waits, we are using both a "sign-up" system and an open-house system. For half the time, we will have an "open-house" where you can just pop in at any time to look at student work and try and meet with a teacher if he or she is free. The other half of the evening will be "sign-up" time with a specific teacher.
Tuesday will have appointments for the first part - from 3:30 - 5:00. Open-house will be from 5:30 - 7:30.
Wednesday will have open-house from 3:30 - 5:00. Appointments will be from 5:30 - 7:30.
Please sign-up to meet with the teacher(s) of your choice for 5-10 minutes in the open slots.
If you are unable to attend, or you need more time to conference than is provided on these two days, you can always email or call any teacher you wish to speak to at any time during the year or try and schedule a meeting time with the team of teachers for your student(s).
Thanks. If you have any questions, please feel free to email any teacher or call the school.
8th Grade Service Learning Trips:
The 8th grade class travels three times a year to elementary schools to mentor younger students . They work in an elementary classroom, assisting the teacher by working in small groups on projects with the younger students. The 8th graders are gone from SMS for about an hour and a half. They attend all their classes on an alternative schedule. There is no need for lunch or money on these trips. Any items needed will be posted.
8th Grade Homework Club Days: (posted in 8th grade hall as well, and the person holding Homework Club is subject to change/cancellation depending on circumstances. If no one shows up by 3:15 - Homework Club is cancelled).
Runs from 3:00 - 3:45
Monday: Laura Johnston
Tuesday: ToniRae Andres
Wednesday: Heidi Johnson
Thursday: Monty Metz
Friday: By Appointment Only
8th Grade General Rules:
- Snacks: individual, healthy snacks are accepted and must not disrupt class.
- Drinks: Water only please!
- Backpacks are discouraged - if you have them, they must not obstruct walkways or you must remove them.
- Students must use planners or a calendar for their Bathroom Passes - they get two a day.
- We expect you to check your grades at least once a week on-line: be responsible for yourself!!!
- YOU MUST COME PREPARED TO CLASS: this means your basics - pens, pencils, paper, books, and planner (you probably need scissors, highlighters, rulers, etc.). Failure to come to class prepared will result in a tardy, as you would then need to get supplies.
8th Grade Writing Rigor: (Be prepared!!!)
We help prepare your student for high school and for the real world; we will hold all students accountable for their writing in all contents, as writing is used in life and careers for communication. If your boss cannot read your request for a raise, do you think you will get it?
So . . .
- If your writing does not answer the prompt, topic, question, etc. posed (the purpose). . .
- If your writing has glaring CUPS errors (capitalization, usage, punctuation, spelling) . . .
- If your writing does not show professionalism (Is the handwriting readable? Is it turned in on chewed up paper? Is it written in crayon, highlighter, etc.? ) . . .
. . . as a favor, it will be returned to you with a new due date written on it so that you may do your best work – as you will be expected to do in life. It will not receive a late grade unless not resubmitted by the new due date.
8th Grade at a Glance doc.
Chrome Book care/contract
Movie/Book Opt Out/In form